Opioid prescribing resources
Fighting opiate addiction and drug overdoses with a strong focus on preventing prescription drug abuse has been a high priority for Ohio Gov. John Kasich since he took office. The Governor's Cabinet Opiate Action Team has taken steps to curb opioid abuse, and some of those steps affect dental offices. Browse the resources below to learn more.
- Rx Basics for Ohio Dentists - This document created by the ODA provides information on prescription drug regulations for dentists.
- Governor's Cabinet Opiate Action Team prescribing guidelines, resources and screening tools - Multiple state health care organizations and interested professionals have developed these resources to assist prescribers in making safe choices for their patients.
- Ohio Guideline for the Management of Acute Pain Outside of Emergency Departments - This resource from the Governor's Cabinate Opiate Action Team provides a general approach in the outpatient management of acute pain.
- Ohio Prescribers Training Module - This video teaches about the new Guidelines for the Management of Acute Pain Outside of Emergency Department and how to incorporate them. The Ohio State Dental Board will approve 2 credit hours of C.E. for viewing the video and answering the accompanying questions, if completed by July 31, 2016. Learn more by clicking here.
- Ohio Automated Rx Reporting System (OARRS) website - OARRS is a tool to track the dispensing and personal furnishing of controlled prescription drugs to patients.
- OARRS FAQ - Information from the Ohio Pharmacy Board about who needs to register, how to register and when to access OARRS.
- "Start Talking!" consent form - Ohio law requires prescribers to obtain a statutorily defined informed consent form, known as the "Start Talking!" form from a parent, guardian or other authorized adult prior to prescribing a minor a controlled substance that contains an opioid.
- ADA opiate resources - the ADA president is urging dentists to help prevent opioid abuse. The ADA provides resources, tools and CE opportunities for dentists to help in this effort.
"ODA Today" articles
- Dentists will need TDDD license to possess, distribute controlled substances - 2/8/2017
- 'My journey into addiction started with a visit to the dentist' - 1/12/2017
- ODA Leadership Institute to feature speakers on opioids - 12/12/2016
- Dental board plans to enforce OARRS requirements - 10/10/2016
- Update on prescription drug regulations, education initiatives in Ohio - 7/12/2016
- Legislative issues heat up as General Assembly goes on summer break - 7/12/2016
- Legislation proposes requiring dentists who possess scheduled drugs to obtain TDDD license - 6/1/2016
- Opioid doses, prescriptions for Ohio patients continue to decrease - 4/15/2016
- Governor's Cabinet Opiate Action Team releases new prescribing guidelines - 2/2/2016
- New OARRS requirements now in effect - 5/1/2015
- New prescription drug regulations impact dental offices - 11/10/2014
- New law requires prescribers to "Start Talking," use consent form - 10/7/2014