The Ohio Dental Association Foundation is the philanthropic arm of the ODA, committed to a mission of improving the oral health of the citizens of Ohio and enhancing the dental profession in the state. Your support helps us continue to make a difference by funding grants and scholarships. Since 1995, the ODAF has awarded over $642,000 in program grants and dental scholarships.
How We Make a Difference
The ODA Foundation awarded $94,800 in grants and scholarships in August 2012. Ten scholarships were given to dental students and four to students in auxiliary programs. Six grants were awarded, which collectively will help hundreds of Ohioans in need:
- Dentist volunteers with the W.D. Miller Dental Society who provide emergency surgical care at Look up Dental Clinic, a free clinic in Newark. In its first 10 months of operations, this clinic helped 800 adults. This program received $9,000, with $1,500 from the ODAF Operating Fund and $7,500 funded by the Bob & Peg Hinkle Family Fund.
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Dept. of Pediatric Dentistry as it provides dental screening, care and oral health education to low-income pregnant teens, partnering with Grant-Riverside Hospital’s Prenatal Mobile Unit. The grant amount was $9,000 – $4,000 from the Don Bowers Fund and $5,000 from the ODAF Operating Fund.
- Access Mahoning Valley, a program of the Corydon Palmer Dental Society through which volunteer dentists provide free care to uninsured residents at evening clinics. This program is in partnership with Humility of Mary Health Partners Smile Station II mobile dental unit. This program received an $8,000 grant.
- The OSU College of Dentistry as it holds a Saturday of free restorative and preventive care to 100 underserved children; this program received $4,000. This will become a twice yearly event at the dental school as part of its Give Kids a Smile program.
- The Dental OPTIONS program, which matches underserved and uninsured Ohioans with dentists who agree to provide care for free or reduced fees, received a $20,000 grant to help with the case management services provided by the referral coordinators.
- Stark County Dental Society’s volunteer program to provide free dental care and dentures to uninsured veterans. This is the society’s first annual event to help local veterans. This program received $2,500.
A volunteer dentist from the W.D. Miller Dental Society provides emergency dental care to an area resident in need at the Look Up Clinic in Newark. In its first 10 months of operations, volunteers treated nearly 800 patients at this free clinic.
Read more about other ways the ODAF has helped.
Plan ahead for memorial contributions.
Advise your loved ones that when it is time, you would like your obituary to include that contributions can be made to the ODA Foundation in your honor. Donations can be sent to the ODA Foundation, 1370 Dublin Rd., Columbus, Ohio 43215 or by calling the ODAF at (614) 486-2700. Donations can also be made securely online. The family is informed by letter of all donations, and all in-recognition of donors are listed online here and in the next year's Annual Report.
Learn what the ODA Foundation has done for dentistry and for Ohioans in the 2012 Case for Support.
- Click here to view Frequently Asked Questions
- What is ODAF?
- Click here for a look at "2012 In Review"
- In Any Event … a guide with valuable information to help develop, preserve and settle your dental estate
The Ohio Dental Association Foundation is the philanthropic arm of the ODA, committed to a mission of improving the oral health of the citizens of Ohio and enhancing the dental profession in the state. Donor support helps the profession of dentistry in Ohio today and in the future. Through grants and scholarships, the ODA Foundation helps defray the cost of dental education for future dentists, supports community oral health programs and increases oral health literacy for vulnerable populations.
Your support of the ODA Foundation will help us continue to make a difference to our profession and to those in need. Click here to donate.
The ODA Foundation’s popular raffle fundraiser is back and tickets are now available. Top prize is a two-year lease on the winner’s choice of an Audi A-4 FrontTrak Sedan or Volkswagon EOS Komfort 2-door sedan – or the $20,000 cash equivalent. Second prize is a 1.23 carat woman’s diamond pendant valued at $3,000 and the third prize is $1,000 cash. In addition, all tickets purchased by August 19 will be entered in the special Early Bird Drawing for a cash prize of $500. Click here for a ticket order form or call the ODA Foundation at (614) 486-2700.