About the ODA
Good DEED Program
In order to recognize dental offices that are pursuing more environmentally friendly practices, the Ohio Dental Association and the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency have developed the Ohio Good DEED (Dedicated to Environmental Excellence in Dentistry) Program.
The Good DEED Program uses a tiered approach for recognizing dental offices that utilize simple and innovative solutions, without regulations, to minimize the environmental impact of their practices on Ohio’s environment.
Dentists can participate in the program on two levels, depending on which option best applies to their practice:
- In the Gold Tier, dentists agree to adhere to the ADA’s Best Management Practices (BMP’s) for Amalgam Waste, which includes use of an ISO 11143 compliant amalgam separator, while also abiding by the relevant waste disposal laws that are currently in place.
- In the Gold and Green Tier, dentists agree to adhere to everything that is included in the Gold Tier, while also incorporating basic recycling practices for office paper, lead, and having recycling programs in place for amalgam, fixer and used x-ray tubes (if in use). Dentists are also asked to implement at least 10 other pollution prevention practices into their office, for example using Star Energy appliances, unplugging appliances, using biodegradable disposable cups, using energy efficient low-mercury lighting, or using stainless steel endodontic suction tips, etc. Dentists may participate in this tier at any time after they have completed the Gold Tier.
To see a list of Good DEED Program participants, click here.
How to Participate in the Good DEED Program
It is a very easy process to participate. Most dental offices already do most of these environmentally friendly work practices. To participate:
- Dowload the Gold Tier checklist or the Gold and Green Tier checklist
- Fill out the checklist by marking off the practices your office has in place
- Submit the checklist to the ODA
Participants will then receive a certificate via email from the ODA designating the tier for which they qualify.
The ODA strongly encourages ALL Ohio dentists to participate in this program in at least the Gold Tier level. Doing so allows the profession to do the right thing while also demonstrating its ability to regulate itself without the need for unnecessary government mandates.
For a list of amalgam waste recyclers, click here.
For more information or to participate in the Good DEED Program, click here or contact the ODA at (800) 282-1526.